[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Release process & QA thoughts

Almond, Emily ealmond at georgialibraries.org
Mon Oct 27 09:11:42 EDT 2008

You're both hitting on some best practices of software development...
part of my job right now is to survey the landscape and figure out
what's being done right, wrong, or not at all. Your comments are very
helpful in determining where to start!

In the coming weeks, I'll be talking to folks around Georgia and at
Equinox in order to develop out both a product lifecycle and a project
lifecycle. Under both, respectively, and with much input from the PINES
libraries, we'll need to answer the following questions:

1.       What belongs in the product lifecycle (i.e., maintenance)?

2.       What belongs in a release cycle?

3.       What belongs in an upgrade cycle?

4.       How do we define the criteria for categorizing? (is it a bug,
showstopper, something in between?)

5.       How to form a group of "beta testers" (release candidates)?

6.       Form communication plans around each group.  (betas, sys
admins, directors, Equinox, library users, both internal and external)

7.       Identify and implement the most appropriate and efficient
communication channels - listservs, discussion forums, chat logs,
virtual meeting spaces, wikis, etc.

As I cobble these and other questions and issues together into a plan, I
will be posting regular updates to the PINES page and will be conducting
many site visits in the coming months. So keep discussing!

Emily