[OPEN-ILS-DEV] permissions question

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Thu Jun 11 13:43:43 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Karen Collier<kcollier at kent.lib.md.us> wrote:
> I could be wrong about this, and please somebody correct me if I am, but I
> think permissions are inherited from the group's parents.  So you can give
> certain types of patrons additional permissions, but you can't take away
> permissions they've inherited from a higher level group.

This is the case.

> Sounds to me like you need to give all PATRONs system level permission
> and then grant the additional consortial level permissions to the subgroups
> that should have them.  Can someone else more knowledgeable confirm or
> deny this?

I believe having overlapping permissions can actually break things (or
at least break the perm group interface).  So in this case, it may be
best to make sure that no parent group has the needed permission and
that specific permissions are given to specific sibling groups if
they're going to differ.

--
Jason Etheridge