[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Circulation Menu in the Staff Client

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Fri Jun 19 13:06:14 EDT 2009

Cynthia Williamson <crwbookgirl at gmail.com> writes:

> I also agree that [patron lookup by barcode] isn't really needed on
> the circ menu because if you have barcode you're probably going to
> be checking out books and you would indeed just use the check out
> function - as William R pointed out.

Actually, this exact line of reasong is one of the key things I am
dissatisfied with in our current ILS.  I don't know about other
libraries, but where I work, not having this is a real problem.  There
are a LOT of reasons to scan a patron's card and look at their record.
It's one of the most frequent things we do.  Not having a quick and
easy way to get there is a real pain.

> Another argument for removing the retrieve patron by barcode
> function is that it is right above the "replace barcode function"
> .... we are a couple of weeks from going live and starting to worry
> about newbies accidently replacing barcodes

I would argue that the "replace barcode" function is the more
dangerous function of the two, and also it's used a great deal less
often, and so that's the one that should be tucked away behind some
longer workflow.

Pulling up a patron's record by barcode is safer and needs to be done
much more frequently, so that one should be quick and easy.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library