[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Bug Wrangler's Report

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Wed Dec 8 19:29:03 EST 2010

As promised, here is a report of actions taken/recommended for
Evergreen bugs after the first "bug stomping day."

Methodology:
I looked through all open bugs on Launchpad sorted by Importance and
stopped when I reached the wishlist bugs. This means that I looked
some 50-odd bugs, thought I did not get to investigate all of them.
(More on that later.)

As I went through the bugs, I took various actions on them, including
"closing" a couple. I kept seven lists to track my
recommendations/actions for all but the bugs that I closed.

Results:
I targeted the following three bugs at the 1.6.1.5 release milestone,
meaning I think they should be fixed before 1.6.1.5 is cut:

Only two bugs were targeted at 2.0 beta5:

I would like to target the following two bugs at the 2.1 series.
However, I couldn't find a way to target the series from Launchpad.
(Perhaps, I need some permissions set by the Evergreen bugs site owner?)

I asked for confirmation of the continued existence of 6 bugs in
release 1.6.1.4, and I have not received satisfactory confirmation, or
have not had time to read the responses on these. (If you wish to
confirm the bug's existence, simply post a comment on the bug's
Launchpad page.)

I set the importance of the following three bugs to Wishlist because I
did not see them as proper bugs, but as enhancements. In most cases,
existing comments suggested these were not bugs.

I recommend setting the status of the following bugs to won't fix
because they are on deprecated/ceased lines of development or for
other reasons that I mention in a comment.

Finally, there is a long list of bugs that I either could not confirm
or that require a bit more investigation before making a
recommendation on their disposition:

If anyone else wants to attempt to confirm or investigate any of the
above in any way, please feel free. I see my job as the Bug Wrangler
to nudge the community into looking at the open bugs on Launchpad so
that we all can help to resolve them as efficiently as possible.

Jason Stephenson
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium