[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Restricting Patron holds

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Thu Jan 7 15:48:19 EST 2010

> I believe the way to prevent items from one library satisfying holds
> placed on on titles held by other libraries is to set the "Holds: Hard
> boundaries" setting for each library to the depth of that library in the
> organization tree. There's no documentation that I've found that goes
> into any depth on the "Holds" library settings options.

You can also be more selective (for example, preventing items from
Library A from fulfilling holds for patrons from Library B, but
allowing patrons from Library C) with specific hold permissibility
rules, as well considering the type of items, etc.

> Preventing the "Place Hold" button from even appearing in the OPAC when
> they are viewing records that have no holdings for their "own" library
> (however you define that), or preventing patrons from selecting a
> different pickup library other than the library that holds an item, is a
> different matter.

Yeah, the whole Place Hold -> fill out form -> No Eligible Items Found
flow is non-optimal and thorny.

--
Jason Etheridge
 | VP, Tactical Development
 | phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
 | email:  jason at esilibrary.com
 | web:  http://www.esilibrary.com

Please come by and visit the Equinox team
and learn more about Evergreen
ALA MidWinter
January 15-18, 2010
booth # 2064