[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Overhaul of serial schema

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Wed Jun 2 17:41:57 EDT 2010

Hello Scott,

Thanks for moving this forward.  I have just one small concern (which I will immediately drop if I am alone in thinking this).  IMHO, the IDL class ids are a bit on the short side.  For instance, in my development code (which I *really* expect to get out there soon now that things have finally settled a bit more) I used the id 'sdist' rather simply 'sd' for serial.distribution.  It is such a handy nickname, I use it not just where it needs to be used but also in variable names and whatnot, so general uniqueness becomes really important.  I think 3 characters can work if the particular assortment is not a common one in English (e.g. 'acn'), but otherwise 4 or 5 character ids can really improve readability/debugability/searchability.

Again, just IMHO.

Thanks again,
Dan