[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Understanding the action / trigger / hook / reactor / validator architecture

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Mar 23 23:15:02 EDT 2010

On 23 March 2010 22:30, Joe Atzberger <jatzberger at esilibrary.com> wrote:
> Can't answer all your questions, but I'll chime in on some.

Thanks Joe!

>> "Processing group context field" defines the field associated with the
>> event that is used somewhere (?)
>
> That is used, for example, to batch together overdue notices.  So you might
> have two of your books become overdue on the same day.  Rather than get two
> notices, they are grouped together by the usr field.

Ah... **light dawns**. That makes sense.

>> /openils/bin/action_trigger_runner.pl --process-hooks
>> /openils/bin/action_trigger_runner.pl --run-pending
>
> You might try it with verbose output, like:
> /openils/bin/action_trigger_runner.pl --process-hooks --debug-stdout
> Just to see if that gives any more useful info.

Right, that's one of the combinations I had tried (it's nice having a
command line tool with --help enabled).

The only output I get when I run --process-hooks --debug--stdout is
"", and I get no output with --run-pending --debug-stdout.

>>  * Would it be possible to deliver an annotated
>> action_trigger_filters.json.example file with some of the more common
>> hooks enabled by default (for example, hold.available)?
>
> I think it would be OK.  Our JSON parser seems to tolerate comments, even
> though they are non-spec.  Scott or Mike can probably correct me if I'm
> wrong here.

One more question: is anyone actually running anything involving
action/trigger/hooks on a production 1.6.0 system? I find it odd that
I can successfully generate an email notice using the "Test" dialogue
for a 7-day overdue checkout on a stock 1.6.0.3 virtual image, but
action_trigger_runner.pl fails to generate anything.