[OPEN-ILS-DEV] query- GSOC 2011

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Mar 21 10:41:55 EDT 2011

On 21 March 2011 03:01, K SAI TEJA REDDY K SAI TEJA REDDY
<sai-ph at student.iitd.ac.in> wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> I'm writing to query if I could be taken for your idea on gsoc 2011.

Great, thanks for your interest in the Evergreen project!

> I've the skills and experience to work on your projects liisted below
> Create a Ruby and/or PHP client for OpenSRF and Evergreen
> I've gone through your ideas list. If you'd like, I'll provide you with my
> details.

I'm sure the project would be interested in hearing more about your
experience and skills and how you would approach this idea.

The core part of the project would be to implement an OpenSRF client
that speak OpenSRF-over-HTTP and possibly XMPP (with
Evergreen-specific extensions, such as using the fieldmapper IDL to
dynamically generate classes) in PHP or Ruby, along with a test suite
to prove that the client does what it is supposed to do.

If you haven't read http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/3284 to get
an introduction to OpenSRF, I would strongly suggest it before
applying for our project, just to know what you would be getting into.
You can also visit http://evergreen-ils.org/downloads.php to find a
downloadable virtual machine that will get you up and running in
VirtualBox and find links to demo Evergreen systems that are online.

Thanks so much for your interest in Evergreen!

Dan Scott