[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Remove Unused Organizational Units

Elliot Voris evoris at slcconline.edu
Thu Jul 26 17:24:19 EDT 2012

Hi, Developers!

We have an Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS server running Evergreen 2.1.1. I set up the server following rigidly the README. The librarian at our college brought a problem to my attention this morning.

PROBLEM1: We have a lot of the default organizational units still. I've hidden the OPACs, but I'd rather get rid of them altogether. I'm unable to delete the unnecessary organizational units, though. I've been here once before as I was setting up a test server (http://open-ils.org/irc_logs/evergreen/2011-12/%23evergreen.21-Wed-2011.log, discussion starts about halfway down the page; look for ElliotFriend). I was pointed toward a commit transaction (http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=scratchpad:setup). At the time that worked, but trying to run it now gives me this:

evergreendb=# BEGIN;
BEGIN
evergreendb=# DELETE FROM actor.org_unit WHERE id > 5;
DELETE 4
evergreendb=# DELETE FROM actor.org_address WHERE id > 5;
DELETE 4
evergreendb=# DELETE FROM actor.workstation WHERE owning_lib > 5;
DELETE 0
evergreendb=# COMMIT;
ERROR:  update or delete on table "org_unit" violates foreign key constraint "copy_circ_lib_fkey" on table "copy"
DETAIL:  Key (id)=(8) is still referenced from table "copy".
evergreendb=#

I can't find a "copy" table anywhere, though.

PROBLEM2: There are currently three OUs that we are using:

1.       SLCCCON: SLCC Consortium

2.       PHSYS: President's Hall System (the building the library is actually located in)

3.       MCLIB: McCaslin Library (actor.org_unit id=4)
ALL books are held in MCLIB. The other two are only there, because of the way the default OUs were set up. I'd also like to get rid of the other two OUs. We're really just one library at a small college. We have no need for a consortium or a system. Further, the OPAC wants to search SLCCCON (despite having hidden the OPAC). So, if I search for a random book, from the search results page I can see that there's a copy in MCLIB. However, on the books detail page (I don't know what you would actually call that), I see "There are no copies available" (meaning no copies in SLCCCON). So, seeing as how we don't need the CON or SYS, I'd like to get rid of them altogether.

RANDOMPROBLEM3: In biblio.record_entry, it looks like all the records have an "owner" field of NULL. Is that a problem?

So, I'd like to get rid of all the OUs except for MCLIB. How can I do that without any data loss, and without messing anything up? We'd like to upgrade to 2.2 in the not-too-distant future. How could that affect this?

Thanks!

Elliot J. Voris
IT Director
St. Louis Christian College