[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Proposal: Server Managed Print Templates

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Thu Apr 18 13:56:04 EDT 2019

Hi Bill,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 12:12 PM Bill Erickson <berickxx at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have jotted some notes here:
>
> https://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=dev:server_print_templates
>
> I would love hear feedback.  If it the idea holds water, I'll open an LP.

I think the general idea makes good sense.  Some specific thoughts that
occur to me:

- Consistent formatting of dates and times should be considered, perhaps by
adding a helper function
- What are your thoughts on having (selected) additional helper functions
be available to do things like fetch OU names and addresses?  On the one
hand, this could reduce the need to touch Angular[JS] code to add new
fields to a given printout and might add some useful consistency with
what's available to A/T templates. On the other hand, for the sake of
responsiveness I could see an argument for making the client completely
responsible for supplying all necessary data.
- It occurs to me that this could readily become a basis for printing
sheets of barcodes and labels, though if we go down that path, it may be
necessary to teach it how to emit PDFs that are capable of having a block
to print precisely positioned on the resulting sheet of paper.
- Automatic migration of existing templates is probably not possible, but
_something_ to help admins keep track of how far along they are with the
migration would be helpful.

Regards,

Galen
--