[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] draft terms of reference

sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us
Wed Aug 26 16:29:27 EDT 2009

I copied the "terms of reference" below and added asterisks anywhere I
made a change. Terms of references sounds like a glossary to me, is that a
common term for this?  Also, I’m not crazy about the use of the word
“duplicative,” but I couldn’t come up with an alternative I liked much
better.

Sarah

Mission Statement
The Evergreen Documentation Interest Group (DIG) plans, facilitates,
produces, manages, and provides access to online documentation about *the
Evergreen *ILS.

Scope

*The DIG:

Administers a framework for documentation, inclusive of timelines, a style
guide, software tools, and DIG member training and support

Produces reference and training documentation for standard implementations
(not locally customized software), in multiple formats, for developers,
system administrators, library managers, library staff, library users, and
sites considering implement*ation

Connects users to documentation via posting standard documentation on DIG
web pages, linking out to community documentation, incorporate*ing help
into the staff client, and fostering in-code documentation

Manages the Evergreen documentation email list and the DIG web pages

Does not provide technical support for Evergreen

Principles

*The DIG:

Operates with wide participation and open communication, plans for its
long-term sustainability, and is responsive to community need

Manages documentation via single-sourcing, a central repository, version
control, and the use of broader standards and best practices. *Uses
DocBook for text-based documents

Provides current historical standard documentation that is free and open,
has cohesive structure and style, is easy for users to find and use, and
is easy to maintain and translate

Fosters collaboration, minimization of duplicative work, and the inclusion
of documentation as part of the software development process