[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] A (late) Drupal Observation.

Wills,Steve wills at nelinet.net
Wed Jul 1 14:47:43 EDT 2009

Back in May there was a thread with a subject of "Evergreen
Documentation Issues" that explored the idea of DocBook books vs. Drupal
pages and I apologise for being late to that game.  I did want to
observe, however, that it felt a little odd for me because I feel that
discussion compared different things entirely.  It was like comparing a
mold for making nails with a claw hammer.  There are a number of editors
with which one can create texts described with DocBook.  The issue of
how to provide the finished documents via a tool to the community is a
separate topic and that is where Drupal might come in.

I don't mean to rehash a previously discussed subject, but the point for
Drupal and Docbook being two tools in our arsenal that are used for
different things was not mentioned in that discussion. The ability of
Drupal to translate Docbook books to html pages vs. offering links to
DocBook streams could be delegated as a design issue to a website team,
without impeading the documentation team at all.   The arguments for
using DocBook to describe documents has been well made here and in the
larger OSS community, {imho}

Steve Wills