[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] A (late) Drupal Observation.

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Wed Jul 1 15:04:05 EDT 2009

> I don’t mean to rehash a previously discussed subject, but the point for
> Drupal and Docbook being two tools in our arsenal that are used for
> different things was not mentioned in that discussion. The ability of Drupal
> to translate Docbook books to html pages vs. offering links to DocBook
> streams could be delegated as a design issue to a website team, without
> impeading the documentation team at all.   The arguments for using DocBook
> to describe documents has been well made here and in the larger OSS
> community, {imho}

This is an outstanding point and one I was trying to feel my way
through in a conversation Karen C. and I were having about needs
assessment earlier today. This is also one of Paul Weiss' original
points from his document a couple of months ago. We need a better
environment for housing/transforming the source XML -- one that might
even afford workflows that are congruent with the predominant
skillsets in our community. Plus this implies one large, consistent,
unified "wrapper" for the Evergreen community versus two sites,
evergreen-ils.org and the Dokuwiki instance.