[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] ***SPAM*** Re: Forming Teams by Topic

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Wed May 19 18:57:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Lori Bowen Ayre <lori.ayre at galecia.com> wrote:
> Jason, can we have a dedicated server for this purpose and could we keep it
> in sync with the most recent developments (or at least close) as they get
> rolled in? Do you have another suggestion?

I'm here as a volunteer, but I can ask around.  I know DIG has had a
dedicated server for themselves, though I believe it is or was running
EG 1.6, and not trunk.  The purpose behind acq.open-ils.org was
communal development of acquisitions, but I've pushed it as a way of
also showcasing all things in trunk (which was one role of
dev.gapines.org, but I can't update it without affecting
demo.gapines.org, which would result in a lot work--upgrading both).

I think it may be worth creating a subversion or git or bazaar branch
of trunk for documentation, hand out the commit bit to DIG'ers, and
have a self-updating server follow those commits, at least for staff
client files (where changes don't usually require sys-admin
intervention).  I'd want other developers to weigh in here; we're
getting very close to continuous integration type work with this
notion.

> Also, how could those of us working on this project with Darlene most easily gain access to what they
> are working on without creating more work for KCLS staff (who have their hands very full right now!).

Ah, is this question for me?  If they're front-line for this and are
already putting the files into an Evergreen instance, perhaps they
could expose that system to others.  That'd save me from having to
update acq.open-ils.org (or some other trunk server) very often (or
figuring out how to automate it).

One thing we could do is have the html files on whatever test system
we use have nothing but meta-refresh tags to wiki pages.  Then every
now and then the DIG'ers bless some version of that content to put
into the actual source repository (trunk, and stable branches once the
context-help feature becomes stable).

A wiki would be very low-barrier for editing.

--
Jason Etheridge