[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Documentation for Adding Holdings with Monograph Parts

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Dec 21 06:28:15 EST 2011

Hi Sarah,

> It says "No new permissions or administrative settings are needed
> to use this feature." Maybe they don't have to be "created," but
> we found that new permissions had to be added to the Cat 1 log-ins
> in order for cataloging staff in Indiana to use this feature.  And
> of course there are different levels of permissions: Consortial,
> Local System and Branch.  It would be nice if documentation
> addressed this, and what affect adding permissions at the
> different levels will have.

You're right, and I missed that piece when I was reviewing the documentation.

There are three permissions we needed to give catalogers -
CREATE_MONOGRAPH_PART, UPDATE_MONOGRAPH_PART DELETE_MONOGRAPH_PART -
and, since a part is shared by all libraries in the consortium, they
needed to be applied at the consortial level. This sentence should
probably be replaced with:

"The CREATE_MONOGRAPH_PART, UPDATE_MONOGRAPH_PART and
DELETE_MONOGRAPH_PART permissions need to be applied at the consortial
level to use this feature."

Robert, what is the best way to update the community docs with that
information? Should I be submitting a bug through Launchpad?

> Also, the documentation only addresses applying parts when
> creating new volumes. Is that the only way to apply parts? I have
> tons and tons of existing items where I'd like to apply parts.
> Currently I have to delete and re-add to do so?

You can add a part to an existing item by using the "replace barcode"
option from holdings maintenance. When using the unified copy/volume
editor, you can also add/edit a part by selecting "edit items."

This is something that should probably be incorporated into the
documentation for "Using the Copy Editor to Make Changes." In looking
at the 2.1 documentation outline -
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-docs_2.1:outline - it
looks like we're still looking for a volunteer to create those docs.

Thanks for reporting these issues Sarah!

Kathy Lussier

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
(508) 756-0172