[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Auto Suggest in Catalog Search documentation

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Sat May 12 08:51:58 EDT 2012

Hi,

I was attempting to turn on the new TPAC search box auto suggest feature on a test server, but was unable to find the documentation. The release notes indicate that this feature is documented in the official documentation.

Release notes say:

"This feature is not turned on by default. You must turn it on in the Admin module."
"Documentation for this feature is available in the Book of Evergreen at http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.2/"

However, I was unable to find the actual information about activating this feature within the official docs.

I did find the documentation from an external source and checked the list archives to see that a message was sent to indicate that feature documentation is available from an external source. However, I am a bit concerned that some promised/assumed documentation might slip through the cracks unless we use indicators about specific sections being ready.

I wonder if in the future, whenever a feature is documented elsewhere and pointed to to as in the official docs, a note could be made in the outline http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-docs_2.2:outline to indicate that the specific chapter/section is ready and needed to be added to documentation ( perhaps using flashing red text  indicating "promised in release notes" so we can raise the priority ;-) )? Or if specific details about which specific feature is documented can be indicated in the DIG list communications in separate messages so we can ensure that the specific sections are included in the docs especially when promised in the release notes. The other option would be for coordination with Content Coordinators listed here http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-docs:digparticipants to ensure that they are aware of this existing content and provide the necessary communication to ensure it makes it into the docs and that it will be merged within the context other sections of chapters in their parts. Some of the feature documentation might be parts of larger documents currently being authored so content coordination might be a good thing.

This week I will try to catch up on adding the external docs to the official docs now that I am aware of their existence, but would just like to adjust some of the coordinating or communication  procedures to ensure that promises of existing documentation in the official docs are kept. One other option would be to point the release notes to the external source of content until content is added to the official docs.

Thanks,
Robert

Robert Soulliere, BA (Hons), MLIS
Systems Librarian
Mohawk College Library
robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Telephone: 905 575 1212 x3936
Fax: 905 575 2011

This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the individual or entity named in the message.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible
to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is prohibited.  If this communication was received in error, please
notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy
the original message.