[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] 2.4 documentation needs

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Tue Apr 2 14:07:39 EDT 2013

Hi Kathy,

I can update those.

Long term, I wonder if it would be possible to make the documentation work-flow more efficient for adding new feature documentation to the official documentation?

If new features are added to the code base (the official Evergreen repository) by a particular group, organization or company, would it be possible to have the group add the accompanying documentation (if they are already producing documentation in asciidoc format) directly into the official documentation since it goes into the same official Evergreen repository as the code and follows similar steps to contributing the code? By having the authors/owners of the documentation directly add to the repository, it will also allow updating to be more timely since the original authors will be more intimately linked to the info in the official docs and will not have to nudge or remind others to update the repository docs to keep up to the same docs stored in other places.

I know that in some cases there are technical challenges which might block direct access to the repository for authors and in some cases where we will need to convert from other formats for the authors, but I just wonder of it would be possible to develop a work-flow to promote more direct access to the repository? Or, is that too dangerous?

The "hiding fields in the copy editor" documentation  is an example of how things can slip through the cracks with the current system since the availability of that documentation was unknown or forgotten.

Regards,
Robert

Robert Soulliere, BA (Hons), MLIS
Digital Systems Librarian