academic libraries Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 226 subscribers

Peter Newman Peter.Newman at cdu.edu.au
Wed Apr 4 23:52:26 EDT 2007

Hi Jason

Sorry I missed this email last week as I was sorting by subject to
monitor both the OPEN-ILS-DEV and OPEN-ILS-GENERAL lists in the one
folder and missed this email as it was sitting right up the top of them
all!

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with the concept/feature
list.  Acquisitions with EDIFACT capability and Serials are functions
that are important here at CDU.  We pretty much currently use all 3
points you listed although the first 2 don't work particularly well from
an implementation point of view.  The 3rd we get daily extracts from
both staff and student systems which update the ILMS but we currently
haven't setup authentication to use a central service as it is
distributed across staff and student systems.  That means library portal
profiles are accessed using a barcode and pin which always causes some
confusion.

Other important functions are notices (for recalls, requests available
for pickup, pre-overdue and overdue items).  Then flexible reporting and
having them emailed automatically to particular people.  Since these are
already in Evergreen it would be a case of evaluating them to see if
that can meet current requirements (or to see if they can be improved
easily - an option for open source products).

Since we're in the midst of upgrading our ESX infrastructure - I've yet
been able to get access to a new machine to install Evergreen to start
:-(.

Another thing is how well can Evergreen handle importing large amounts
of marc data?  Say ~22000 records and being able to match bib/item ids
or use LDR format for matching and deleting marc records?

These are the things I want to test anyway :-)

Regards
Pete