[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RE: Introduction - new installation

Mitchell, Michael Michael.Mitchell at brazosport.edu
Thu Apr 12 12:54:03 EDT 2007

Hi All,

	I'm new to the list too. We're soon to be ILS merger orphans and
I'm trying to see what else is out there. I've been a big open-source
fan for years but have little or no real programming skills.
	I'm not seeing what I need to see with Evergreen as far as bulk
importing of MARC records and patron records though. I can export our
data from our present system with no problem but can Evergreen use it?
The 80K bib records would be in one MARC format file and 15K user
records in a delimited text file. I'd hate to try to run 80K Z39.50
searches! Plus, I do ongoing cataloging which is saved to multiple
record files for import into our current ILS. This procedure would need
to stay the same. We also have to load a new delimited file of students
every semester so that's not a one-time migration thing either.
	I expect I too am missing some basics about Evergreen here and
that Don was just answering a specific question about scanning ISBNs.

Michael Mitchell
Technical Services Librarian
Brazosport College
Lake Jackson, TX