[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RE: Introduction - new installation

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 13:30:44 EDT 2007

Hi Michael:
There are tools and scripts to import bibliographic and item records
in bulk.  However, many ILS's tend to have a slightly different export
format, and as such the tools/script will need to be modified
slightly.  These are not well documented yet, but as more and more
people show an interest in migrating from an existing ILS to
Evergreen, this will start climbing the priority latter.

As far as patron import from delimited files... I don't know if this
exists yet[1].  However, I believe it should be relatively trivial to
make.

Right now, (I believe[1]) bulk importing is done as a "back-end"
process.  What I mean by this is you would use a tool or script from
an interactive shell on a server (instead of using something built in
to the staff client).  This is usually sufficient for an occasional
update (IE: one-time import for migration or the yearly load of
student info).

For importing small batches of records in a fairly frequent manner,
the backend process would probably be less than ideal.  As far as I
know[1], there is not an "end user" non-Z39.50 mechanism for importing
(such as an import wizard in the staff client).

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.  If you have any
more, please do not hesitate to contact the list again, or join us in
$OpenILS-Evergreen on the Freenode IRC network.

--Don

[1] Some of my information may be outdated, as I'm a "contributor" for
the time being and not a developer.  Please look for subsequent
messages of this thread  in case some of the information I've stated
in this message is out of date or otherwise incorrect.