[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] One OPAC to Rule Them All...

Kermit Jones kermitjr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:33:48 EST 2008

Okay, so a bit of drama in the subject.

I have a planned setup of two or three website OPACs.

Planned setup:
www.librarysite1.com <http://www.chapellibrarysite.com/>
www.librarysite2.com <http://www.churchlibrarysite.com/>
www.librarysite3.com

I will be starting small, and when things grow, migrate up.  Initially
(within 6 months) each site will have a max of 25 libraries (eventually a
few hundred libraries on each system).  Each library will only have anywhere
from 100 to 500 items (with one or two bigger libraries ringing up 1000 or
so books).  Fairly small, in my estimation.  Two are for church
associations, and another for a small homeschooling cooperative.

I also plan on hosting these sites in my basement (I'll go VPS when needed)
with a 2Mbps upstream on a server I have (Athlon MP 2800+, 2GB Ram, 2x18GB
UW320 SCSI Hdd). Will the 2Mbps kill me?  Remember, light user load.  One
data entry is complete for the initial cataloging (none is currently done
electronically), I expect maybe a few users per day per library.

Can I run all three sites on the same Evergreen Install (with independent
domains) or do i need three separate installs?  If separate is needed, how
would I do this? Set up Xen or something? Would VMWare be an option?  I
don't expect huge loads of users on the starting end of things... these are
mainly proof/demos to get me the funding once it kicks off. I don't mind
"melting" it all into the same database/install if I can separate what users
see (different domains/ sets of libraries).  So basically, I need it to
"appear" to be three separate library systems with multiple libraries in
each system.

How hard is it to migrate the data if I upgrade to offsite VPS (I'm assuming
we're simply talking some database exports or a backup/restore route).

When doing data entry, can you do it on a local machine and then "sync" it
with the main server at off peak times?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  If anyone lives in Northern Virginia, free
cup of coffee offered.

Thanks in advance.
KermitJr