[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Gentoo VMware image -- almost there....

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 21:10:06 EDT 2008

On 12/03/2008, Scott Owen <sowen at edzone.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I just downloaded and installed the latest (1.2.0) Evergreen on Gentoo
>  VM image for a couple of my people to take a look at.
>
>  I set the image up to bridge the NIC on a win2003 server....all is good.
>  My ifconfig on the Gentoo image shows an IP of 10.1.4.91/16 (DHCP issued IP)
>  Followed the directions, started Apache, changed the admin password etc
>  etc etc....
>  I can access the OPAC by browsing to that IP from another machine on my
>  network.
>  (I left the default host name on the VMware image, and added the FQDN
>  and IP to my windows workstation HOSTS file, so I can also browse by
>  FQDN as well)
>
>  However, I seem to have some issues setting up the client correctly.
>  I seem to be unable to find the final 1_2_0 client so I tried 1_2_0rc4.
>  No joy.
>  It sees the server ( or at least the re-test server status and version
>  both come back OK) but always returns a network/server failure.
>  Since I don't have a help desk (thats me...) I thought I'd best post the
>  message to the friendly Evergreen admins on this list.....
>
>  error reads:
>  method=open-ils.auth.authenticate.init
>  params=["admin"]
>  THROWN:
>  null
>  STATUS:
>
>  Clearing the message and continuing,  gives me an expired certificate
>  warning  a domain name mismatch for host 10.1.4.91(localhost), and ends
>  with a lock-up.
>  I'm guessing this is some sort of network communication/name error
>  betwixt my workstation and server.
>  Both the workstation and the VMware image can ping each other (ip
>  address) with no problem.
>  Workstation can ping server by FQDN.
>  The server was able to recognize the workstation and I was given the
>  option to name it...so I did.
>
>  The latest client (Staff Client 3) does pretty much the same
>  thing...except I get a auth.session.init network/server error and it
>  kicks me back to the client.
>
>  Any Ideas where I should start??

Hi Scott:

A few ideas:

1) Can you log into the Evergreen OPAC using the admin username and password?

1a) How about from srfsh (change "open-ils" to whatever password you set)?
# su - opensrf
$ srfsh
srfsh# login admin open-ils

2) Do you have any useful information from the logs in
/openils/var/log/, particularly osrfsys.log and router.log?

3) If you want to try using the latest staff client, you'll need to
create symbolic links in /openils/var/web/xul from HEAD to
rel_1_2_1_4.

I apologize for the state of the Gentoo VMWare image; at this point,
it's getting pretty long in the tooth. When Evergreen 1.2.2 gets
released, I'll make a point of trying to bring the Gentoo VMWare image
up to date.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University