[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] acquisitions + sales tax

Frances Dean McNamara fdmcnama at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 29 13:46:01 EDT 2009

Here’s what our Acq folks say:

“At the time of order tax isn’t generally an issue. The order price is an “estimated” price and possible tax isn’t enough to worry about then.

At the time of payment, I’ve never seen a system that uses some kind of an internal tax table to calculate the tax. It is a line on the invoice (if at all, most libraries don’t pay tax) and should just be entered as the amount that appears on the invoice. In the case of VAT, it is embedded in the line item prices, and isn’t a separate amount.

In general, any system needs to have a way you can enter an amount that applied to the entire invoice – tax and shipping are the two obvious examples – and then apply that amount to all the individual lines on a percentage basis. Or, some libraries prefer to charge tax and shipping to a separate account, so the system needs to be able to accommodate both techniques. I think this can be a system-level setting.”

Frances McNamara
University of Chicago