[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Holds and Offline Checkins

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Mon Mar 2 13:21:12 EST 2009

James,

It's been a while since I've had to use offline mode, but I seem to remember there being a list after upload of transactions that may not have gone quite right that could use intervention (can't remember what it's called).  I think that list includes items that should have been snagged for holds.  Helpful, but still kinda frustrating if the book has migrated back to the shelf or is hiding on a shelf of other recent check-ins.  Particularly if the patron is notified by email that it's in... and meanwhile another patron checks it out.  Unlikely, but possible.

One work-around we've tried is to do check-outs in offline mode and save check-ins on a special cart for when connectivity returns so we can be sure not to miss any holds.  Seems a shame though to use only part of the feature.

It seems to me it'd be more useful if the system set them to checked in (or shelving or whatever) and put them on the pull list, rather than setting them to holds shelf.  Staff would still have to track the items down, but at least you'd eliminate the discrepancy between the system and reality.

My 2 cents.  Hope it helps.

Karen

--
Karen Collier