[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Server Installation

Paul Bartell paul.bartell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 01:48:39 EST 2009

Maybe you could offer a reason for running evergreen on windows. I
can't seem to put my head around a reason for using a more expensive
platform, and getting less performance due to the hack-ish nature of
all the components working together. Its great to be able to run on
lots of diverse platforms, but when it starts driving operating costs
through the roof, I can't see a real reason.

If its a question of inter-operability, any linux distribution is
mostly if not fully inter-operable with windows machines. Theres no
reason you would not be able to have a linux server for the ILS and
have an entire network of windows machines, in fact that is probably
more common than not.

You might want to talk to a company about a management contract if you
are afraid of not being able to maintain the server with your current
technical staff.

--
Random quote of the week/month/whenever i get to updating it: "Quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?": "who shall watch the watchers themselves?" - Juvenal