[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Buckets

OdonLibrarian at aol.com OdonLibrarian at aol.com
Tue Nov 24 14:46:12 EST 2009

Hi, Chris.  Finally, some discussion from the client side of things,
prompting my first post to the list.

Re the duplicate records:  One possibility is that you're  not hitting
refresh enough.  You may think a record hasn't been added  because it's not
showing and add it again.  Then when the bucket gets  refreshed it's in there
twice.

As to the purpose of buckets:
Record buckets can be used to collect records that need to be merged or
deleted or have holdings added.
For a list of items to pull from the shelf, you want to use a copy bucket
so you have shelving location and call number.  Printing out the list isn't
difficult.  One of the bucket options is to copy the entire bucket to the
clipboard.  It is picked up in comma-delimited form and can be pasted into
a spreadsheet for further manipulation and printing.

I use copy buckets for items that need barcodes or spine  labels or some
special processing.

It would be nice to have more batch processing options from the  buckets.
One option for some batch processing is to save a list of  barcodes (picked
up from a bucket or report) in CSV form -- no labels, no other  fields, only
numbers.  They can then be uploaded into the "item status"  window,
selected as a set, and be modified as a group in the "item attributes"  window.

Hope this helps.

Marsha

Marsha  Lynn
Director
Odon Winkelpleck Public Library
202 W. Main St., Odon,  Indiana
812-636-4949 (OdonLibrarian at aol.com)

In a message dated 11/24/2009 12:10:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,