[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RFID

Kristen Setzler Simensen ksetzler at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 17:49:26 EDT 2010

Hi Lin,

We started using RFID about two and a half months ago when we moved to a new
building, and we are on an older version of Evergreen. We made the decision to
go with ITG based on cost (consortium pricing was extremely good). The support
has been extremely good, which is crucial for us as we don't have on site IT
support. We are using: Tagsys gates, self check terminal, staff antennae and
stations, and auto check in (checks in pretty consistently but doesn't  turn the
security ON consistently). Our patrons love the self check  station, which makes
us lonely sometimes but happy. We are about to get  started using a handheld
shelf reader. We didn't have time to get up and  running on that before summer
reading started, but I'll have info to  report on that in a few weeks if all
goes well. The tagging cart we leased was pretty convenient in getting our
collection tagged before we moved the collection.

We are awaiting a couple of Evergreen developments that will allow us to take
full advantage of ITG system features, though. One feature that is in process
would automatically turn the security ON when checking items in and OFF when
checking out. When ITG saw that Evergreen didn't do this automatically, they
started working with a developer (ESI) to make this happen and are paying for
that enhancement. In the meantime, we are checking in for the most part on a
separate station to avoid mistakes in security settings. A second issue  relates
to SIP2 protocols (I don't understand all of the technical details), but some of
the info doesn't come through on the auto check in. The good news is that it
appears that the when King County enhancements are available and working, it
will take care of this problem.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Good luck.

 Kristen Setzler Simensen
Director
Calhoun County Library
900 F.R. Huff Dr.
St. Matthews, SC 29135
803-874-3389 extension 1001
803-874-4154 (fax)

The best way to predict the future is to create it.
	– Alan Kay