[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Aged Circulation?

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Fri Dec 3 10:17:52 EST 2010

> One of the things we're considering is that the patronless aged circulation is a great concept, but once the transaction is moved to aged circulation, we lose the patron statistical categories, some of which we need for long term reporting.    We need to make sure this is handled in the migration from active to aged circulation.

Something to keep in mind is that the more data you preserve the less
anonymous things really get (events can be more easily reconstructed,
especially if augmented with outside data--e.g. surveillance).  In the
case of patron stat cats, we have a real foot-gun in that we allow
free-text entry for patron stat cats, so they could really contain
anything, including accidental or intentional identifying information
(staff enters data in the wrong field, or you have a stat cat called
Student ID).

--
Jason Etheridge