[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Logging in via the staff client for the first time

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Sat Feb 13 13:14:08 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 05:14 +0000, morosophe at juno.com wrote:
> My husband, a wonderfully generous and patient man, got the 1.4.0.7 version of Evergreen set up on a local box for me to use for entering church library records.  He used the doku_wiki and completed all the steps for 1.4.0.6, including testing everything successfully.  Unfortunately, when I tried to log in using the 1.4.0.6 staff client and what I understand to be the "default" login (admin, password open-ils), I got this message:
>
> Network or server failure.  Please check your Internet connection to undefined and choose Retry Network.  If you need to enter Offline Mode, choose Ignore Errors in this and subsequent dialogs.  If you believe this error is due to a bug in Evergreen and not network problems, please contact your help desk or friendly Evergreen administrators, and give them this information:
> method=open-ils.auth.authenticate.init
> params=["admin"]
> THROWN:
> Network Failure: status = 404
> service=open-ils.auth&method=open-ils.auth.authenticate.init&param=%22admin%22
> STATUS:
> 404

If you can log in via srfsh using "login admin open-ils" but logging in
via the OPAC or staff client fail, this is quite often the result of
either:

1) Apache running before the OpenSRF services have been started - try
restarting Apache as a first step.

2) Or the open-ils.auth / related database access services like
open-ils.cstore / open-ils.storage aren't running (check the process
list). Sometimes this happens because you run out of RAM and the out of
memory killer kicks in and kills off random processes like the database
itself.

Hopefully this gives you and your husband a pointer in the right
direction, along with the troubleshooting document that Jason pointed
you at.