[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] booking module--what are folks doing now?

Tara Robertson information.detective at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:27:20 EST 2010

I work at a small academic library that's starting to evaluate an new
ILS to migrate to from Horizon.

In the last Evergreen Newsletter, Cynthia Williamson from Mohawk
College wrote about the development of a booking module. This is
really exciting as we also need this functionality. By 'booking
module' I mean the same as Cynthia. Instructors often book DVDs that
they're going to show in a specific class. The system needs to
restrict circulation on that item close to the booking date so that it
will be available for the instructor to pick up before their class.

Horizon doesn't have a bookings module, so we have a cumbersome manual
system that involves a very organized and determined staff member,
different coloured forms, a few boxes with cards, and some awkward
workarounds in Horizon. It's less than ideal, but it works most of the
time.

I know there are some other academic libraries currently using
Evergreen (UPEI and the Conifer libraries). I imagine school libraries
would also do need bookings. Do you do bookings? How do you manage
right now?

Thanks!

Tara
Emily Carr University of Art + Design