[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Hold queues and due dates

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Feb 3 15:14:25 EST 2011

For what it's worth, subject to all of the renewals / holds issues that might affect the actual availability of the item in question, in Evergreen 2.0 you can change one variable in copy_details.js (showDueDate) and the date will be displayed if you click on copy details for a given item. This can be set on a per-skin basis.

Jason Etheridge <jason at esilibrary.com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Vicki Reeves <vickir at beau.org> wrote: > And on the otherside of this issue, knowing the due date does not really > indicate when the item will be available.  Many items are kept overdue, > returned at a different branch (requiring time to transfer) or even > returned early.  In the library world there is no way to guarentee when > an item will be available.  We'd rather not make promises based on ifey > information. Does it happen often that due dates mislead patrons? Would indicating the # of holds already on a title help? I know EG 2.0 has an "estimated wait time" for holds, though that doesn't show up until after a hold has been made. I recall being told that some patrons will base their hold placing behavior on due dates. -- Jason Etheridge  | VP, Tactical Development  | Equinox Software, Inc. / Your Library's Guide to Open Source  | phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)  | email:  jason at esilibrary.com  | web:  http://www.esilibrary.com