[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Holds settings in Evergreen

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Mon Jan 10 16:51:50 EST 2011

> I'm also interested in hearing how other systems are using holds settings. I
> was looking closely at stalling last week. I can see the appeal of using
> stalling as a way to reduce delivery. However, I also would be concerned
> about the delay that arises from stalling a hold, particularly in situations
> where the pickup library does not own a title and is unlikely to check in a
> copy of that title over the next few days. Are there many systems using
> stalling?

A word on stalling.  The setting may be better named stalling of
opportunistic hold capture outside the pickup lib.  A hold request
will still look beyond the pickup lib (if no settings otherwise
disallow it) for an available item if needed.  Let's call that library
the pull lib.  One limitation with stalling is that the very specific
barcoded item targeted at the pull lib must be pulled for capturing,
at least during the stall period.  Also, if your retarget period is
less than your stall period, the hold may very well move on to a
different pull lib at some point during the stall.  Opportunistic
capture works as normal at the pickup lib even during the stall
period.

--
Jason Etheridge