[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Building on Amazon EC2; Hostname Issues

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Jan 11 11:23:20 EST 2011

Hi Christinger:

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 06:22:36AM -0500, Christinger Tomer wrote:
> I'm trying to get Evergreen 1.6.1.6 running under Ubuntu 10.04 on Amazon
> EC2. After wrestling with ejabberd, I have Evergreen running, but when I try

Can you describe the nature of your "wrestling" with ejabberd? This
might be pertinent to debugging the problem you're running into.

To confirm that you have Evergreen running successfully: can you use the
"login" command from srfsh?

> to log in with the client, I get a hostname error, whether I'm using the
> Elastic IP or the Public IP from AWS. (I've tried resetting the hostname on
> the EC2 instance -- under EC2 the instances default to the internal IP
> address -- but doesn't seem to work.) Also, I can't log in from the Web
> interface to the catalog itself.

First things first: did you start or restart Apache _after_ getting the
Evergreen services running? Try restarting Apache again, just in case.

Can you use a regular browser to access the hostname? Can you login
using the "admin" credentials through the browser (at least far enough
to get the "change your password" prompt)? That would help tell us
whether it's a general Apache problem or, if you can log in via the
browser, something specific to the staff client.

Can you tell us exactly what the hostname error is? I'm wondering if
it's an SSL problem due to a self-signed certificate (you'll need to
click "Add SSL Certificate") or a failure to find the staff client build
ID on the server instead of something more significant.

> Will changing the settings for the server in opensrf.xml from localhost to
> the Elastic IP solve this problem? Or is something more elaborate, like

Let's stick with simple things first; just keep "localhost" in
opensrf.xml. I want to rule out normal Evergreen and OpenSRF
configuration problems before even considering EC2 as a factor.

As an aside - have you ever installed and configured Evergreen on a
normal machine successfully before jumping to EC2?