[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] newbie evergreen server build

John Hudson gadgetfan.john at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 14:08:47 EST 2011

 <Bryan.Low at ...> writes:

> Am about to start an attempt at building an evergreen server in
> Aberdeenshire, and would welcome any recommendations/advice/feedback.
>
> I haven't settled on anything yet but was thinking about using Ubuntu
> server as a platform and picking my way throughthe online How-To install
> from the evergreen site, would be glad of any advice.

I'm a relative beginner with Linux and assume you're more experienced than I
am. I only managed to get a basic system working on my third attempt (starting
with a clean OS each time) and after a great deal of frustration. I still
haven't managed to get the UK localisation to work and am posting separately
about that issue. So, initially I would say you need lots of patience and some
Linux expertise. I spent many hours over a period of weeks installing Ubuntu,
then Debian (on two different PCs) and going through the installation
procedure, encountering errors each time.

Pay particular attention to the changes of user. There are several of these in
the instructions and I found it was easy to miss one unless I marked the user
in the margin before following the instruction. For this reason, I was more
comfortable with Debian than Ubuntu, because Ubuntu out of the box makes you
use 'sudo' instead of 'su', which I find more fiddly. (I know Ubuntu can be
configured to allow 'su' but I didn't want any more complications.)

You need to do a certain amount of reading between the lines because sometimes
the instructions make assumptions, or miss things out. For example, in
http://open-ils.org/documentation/install/README_2_1_0.html, I've pencilled
in "Change back to directory above" before the installation instruction for
MAKE_STAFF_CLIENT_STAMP_ID - this initially gave me a "Not found" error. There
are a few cases where the instructions refer to "your user" and I was confused
about which user was meant.

Good luck!