[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Seperate Servers for OPAC and ILS?

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Mon Nov 28 17:27:59 EST 2011

We've done this before where we have two different hostnames pointing at
two different Evergreen servers, but both servers end up pointing at the
same database backend.

In a scenario like that, Server A could be "opac-only" where you tell
users to use for opac stuff, and then Server B could be
"staff-client-only" where you tell staff to use that server's
address/hostname for that.  I'm not sure about locking down server A to
prevent staff from logging into it though, since the staff client acts
like a browser (runs on the same ports 80 and 443), you couldn't deny
incoming requests from a client trying to talk to your public server
side.  I suppose you could "trick" it with a fake server redirect that
led nowhere or wasn't the same stamp as your actual staff client server;
that way nobody would easily attach themselves with a staff client to
the opac-only Server A.

What are you trying to accomplish by having these services separated?
Load concerns or worried about performance hits between sharing of
OPAC/staff client functions?

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum