[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Truncating fields in reports

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Oct 26 19:46:30 EDT 2011

Ok, all this talk of overdue reports got me back to tinkering with the
EG graphical report generator.  The couple of reports we have now I
banged out as perl scripts because I couldn't figure out that fancy
schamancy graphical thing at the time and we needed the reports.  But
I'd really rather do them the right way and this time it is making more
sense when I play with it.  I have almost recreated one of the daily
reports but have hit a brick wall.

I currently truncate long fields like title or author on reports so that
it can fit in a nice tabular format.  Can't find a way to do that with
the generator.  If I have to stuff CSV through a filter it really isn't
a simplification over what I'm doing now since it is currently totally
automated.  A nicely formatted PDF dropped into email is what happens
now, so I don't want to complicate things for folks.