[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Getting network failure errors when saving large MARC files (EG master, post 2.1)

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Fri Oct 28 15:53:32 EDT 2011

On Oct 28, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Galen Charlton wrote:

> Hi Yamil,
>
> On 10/19/2011 11:04 AM, Yamil Suarez wrote:
>> I have been running some test servers based on different master
>> snapshots for the last two months and I am getting a "Network
>> Failure"
>> errors whenever I try to save large MARC records. (See attached
>> sample
>> MARC record).
> [snip]
>
> We've tracked this down to a bug in OpenSRF 2.0.x [1].  I've
> observed that this bug, while it can affect any installation
> intermittently, seems to occur particularly often on VMWare guests.
>
> Courtesy of Bill Erickson, a fix is available [2].  Yamil, could you
> try applying it and restarting OpenSRF services?
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/opensrf/+bug/883155
> [2] http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=OpenSRF.git;a=commit;h=ab63faa85e349020774e0b3297a84370281d573f
>
> Regards,
>
> Galne

Thanks for your response, regretfully so far it appears that patch did
not work for us. For the record, we put the patch in "/usr/local/share/
perl/5.10.1/OpenSRF/Server.pm". In addition I wanted to mention that
the test servers are all VirtualBox VMs, since that could somehow be a
reason for the error.

We tried the patch on our test server VM based on master with
max_stanza_size values between 2 and 5. We also tried it on our test
server VM based on the official 2.1 release, with max_stanza_size
values between 2 and 5.

We can also try to install a fresh copy of EG on a new XEN server
platform assigned to me, but I will need a couple of days to finish
the set up and installation.

Any questions or suggestions at this point?

THanks,
Yamil