[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Bug Tracking and Enhancment Requests

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Fri Sep 16 12:28:21 EDT 2011

Hi,

On 09/16/2011 10:50 AM, Tim Spindler wrote:
> We are beginning to look at software to track bug reports within our
> consortium and enhancement requests for potential future development by
> our member libraries.  We are looking for something that would be fairly
> user friendly for our member libraries and allow us to easily group
> requests and report back to member libraries what actions might have
> been taken on the requests.
>
> I appreciate whatever suggestions you might have.  We do run a Drupal
> site on wamp so if it can integrate with Drupal (with an eye for the
> ability to run on future versions of Drupal would be helpful.)

I've never seen a perfect bug tracker, but several ones that I know have
been used with various degrees of success include:

[1] Bugzilla.

This might score a little low on the "user friendly" scale, although
recent versions have had the benefit of some formal usability testing.
Of particular note is the existence of the Launchpad-Bugzilla plugin.  I
haven't used it myself, but being able to connect bug reports in your
tracker to LP bugs seems like it would be useful and would help avoid
atomizing enhancement requests.  Other F/OSS trackers that can integrate
with LP are Trac and Mantis.

[2] RT (http://bestpractical.com/rt/)

I believe this is being used successfully by at least one other
Evergreen consortium.

[2] HelpSpot

This is proprietary, unfortunately, but it's what Equinox and at least
one other Evergreen consortium uses for support incident tracking.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton