[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Library Settings

Sharp, Chris csharp at georgialibraries.org
Fri Sep 30 09:11:57 EDT 2011

Tim,

Before PINES moved to Evergreen 1.4 in 2009, the "consortium-level" settings were set in a separate interface from the Library Settings Editor (or required configuration file changes on the server).  Until then, it was very clear what tasks the library could do and which were left to the PINES system administrators.  In our 1.4 documentation, we had to carefully delineate which tasks remained at the consortium level and which ones could be decided by individual libraries.  Needless to say, the larger that group of settings has gotten, the more complex this task has become.  Several of them we have had to put to the PINES Executive Committee (our governance body comprised of library directors) for review.  Our rule of thumb is that if the setting is addressed by consortium-wide policy, we control it from our office, if not, the library system may set it locally.  We control this carefully via permissions.

Hope that helps!

Chris