[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] bookings module - media bookings

Gordana Vitez gvitez at niagaracollege.ca
Tue Jan 24 11:28:06 EST 2012

Hi Tara,

We've been using the booking module since we went live with Evergreen in Aug 2010. Unfortunately, in all that time, we've never been able to resolve the issue of not being able to see who has a particular booking. We have point people on staff who print a booking list every day and we track things that way. Not very sophisticated, is it? We've brought up these problems in the past and it seemed that the only resolution would be further development or re-design of the module itself, something that we are not capable of taking on right now.

I'd also be interested in hearing if others have better ways of managing the module.

Thanks!
Gordana

>>> Tara Robertson <information.detective at gmail.com> 1/23/2012 7:17 PM >>>
Hi,

We've started using the bookings module to manage our media bookings. Before it was a manual process and we're having some issues with getting Evergreen bookings to work for us.

Here are the main issues:
can't edit existing bookings, they must be deleted and re-entered
so, an instructor can't pick up a booking late--we have to cancel the booking and redo it at the desk (which involves creating brief bibs for media titles that we've ILLed from other libraries)
can't see who has a particular item out on a booking
We can't be the only ones who've had difficulties with this. I'm wondering what other libraries are doing to make this work.

The first could be solved by being really strict about instructors picking up bookings on time (we are a small art school--this isn't going to happen, nor would it work). The second could technically be solved by a report--though circ staff don't have access to running reports and the time lag in getting the circ supervisor or me to run a report.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Cheers,
Tara