[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Should we have a systems administrators list?

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Thu May 3 16:24:17 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:34 AM, <rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net> wrote:

> Quoting Galen Charlton <gmc at esilibrary.com>:
>

>  However, I would like to riff off a comment that Dan Scott made on IRC
>> earlier today: if a sysadmin list gets created but folks start
>> "answering" questions with the response "You're on the wrong list!  Go
>> away!", I would immediately move to collapse *all* Evergreen project
>> into open-ils-general. ;)
>>

> I'm tempted to setup a bot to +1 this sentiment repeatedly.  To me the
> argument behind creating a new list is to expand conversations and create
> new ones, not to fork or stifle them.

My general SysAdmin questions  have always been covered well on the IRC,
but I appreciate the drag on developers' time that answering the same 20
questions multiple times a week might pose (though I have only rarely seen
the equivalent of RTFM or "you're on the wrong list").  Sometimes I really
was asking the question on the wrong list!  I think a list for sysadmins
makes some sense, but it begs the question, "Whose time and expertise will
be split out to cover the questions there?"

Just a thought,

Wolf