[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Should we have a systems administrators list?

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Mon May 7 17:51:44 EDT 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich
<alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu> wrote:
> If by "siloing" you mean that parts of the community with interest in a specialized topic (which may or may not be of immediate interest to the rest of the community) can discuss issues on that topic using a mailing list dedicated to that topic, I'm not bother by it ;)  It's not like we are talking about a password-protected invitation-only secret list with no public logging.
>
> I did not get the sense that the community is currently siloed in any way, even though I can count at least 10 mailing lists currently in existence.   I subscribed to the ones of interest to me.  Having separate lists allows me to automatically filter the incoming messages and pay more attention to the topics of more immediate interest.  Considering 100s of emails I get per day, that is actually very helpful.

What I am referring to is that if in the future we have a separate
sysadmin list, those that don't sign up to both the sysadmin and dev
list might miss out on some relevant information and discussions on
the dev list or vice versa. I don't think it is a bad thing to have a
scenario that find us wanting to recommend to someone that they should
sign up to two lists instead of one, but I would feel bad for those
that were not aware of both lists when they would benefit from them.
Right now I am sure many out there already recommend to sysadmins to
at least subscribe to both the dev and general lists at a minimum, and
perhaps we will add a third list (sysadmin) in the future. Though of
course I don't think adding this third list is an insurmountable
challenge.

I hope what I meant make more sense now, not that it makes it more preferable.

Yamil