[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Cataloging Audio Visual equipment

sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us
Mon May 14 13:49:33 EDT 2012

A number of libraries in Evergreen Indiana circulate audio-visual
equipment of various types: DVD players, projectors, e-readers,
etc. Some of the records are well done and very descriptive,
others are much more brief.

As for type, they should be coded as Type "r" as they are three
dimensional objects/artifacts/machines.

I think that Tara's suggestion of grouping them in the same
shelving location is a good one, as well as your own thought of
making them browsable via call number.

You could also use a note (something like "Thorndike Library
audio-visual collection" or what have you)so that they would all
come up under a keyword search.

Sarah Childs
Senior Cataloger
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library
250 North Fifth Street
Zionsville, IN 46077
317-873-3149 x13330
sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us

> Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 10:57:07 -0400
> From: Trisha Cantwell Keene <tcantwell at coa.edu>
> Subject: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Cataloging Audio Visual equipment
> To: open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org
>
> Is anyone cataloging and circulating audio visual equipment with
Evergreen?

> If so, would you share what you are using for a fixed field
> 'type'?
>
> We are interested in putting these records in the first time (
;D)
> in such
> a way that our patrons will have a filter or an easy way to
locate
> all the
> AV equipment in the catalog. How will they be able to search
just
> for AV?
> By call number, call number prefix.
>
> Thanks for all suggestions etc.
> Trisha
>

> --
> Trisha Cantwell Keene
> Associate Director
> Thorndike Library
> 109 Eden St.
> Bar Harbor, ME  04609
>
> (207) 801-5661
> (207) 288-2328 Fax
> tcantwell at coa.edu
>
> "Google can bring you back a hundred thousand answers. A
librarian
> can
> bring you back the right one."  The Guardian (London)
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 08:33:50 -0700
> From: Tara Robertson <information.detective at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Cataloging Audio Visual
equipment
> To: Evergreen Discussion Group
> 	<open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org>
>
> Hi Trisha,
>
> You can create a MARC record for just about anything. We added
one
> really
> basic one for a bike pump that we sign out (we are by the bike
> racks at our
> school).
>
> If all the AV stuff lives together, I'd create a shelving
location
> for
> them, so you can filter on that or do a search on that shelving
> location.
>
> As for type--I'm not sure. I would guess either z - unspecified
(
> http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd007.html). For the bike
> pump record
> I just left that blank.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Tara
>
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Trisha Cantwell Keene
> <tcantwell at coa.edu>wrote:
>
>> Is anyone cataloging and circulating audio visual equipment
with
>> Evergreen?
>> If so, would you share what you are using for a fixed field
>> 'type'?
>> We are interested in putting these records in the first time (
>> ;D) in such
>> a way that our patrons will have a filter or an easy way to
>> locate all the
>> AV equipment in the catalog. How will they be able to search
>> just for AV?
>> By call number, call number prefix.
>> Thanks for all suggestions etc.
>> Trisha
>> --
>> Trisha Cantwell Keene
>> Associate Director
>> Thorndike Library
>> 109 Eden St.
>> Bar Harbor, ME  04609
>> (207) 801-5661
>> (207) 288-2328 Fax
>> tcantwell at coa.edu
>> "Google can bring you back a hundred thousand answers. A
>> librarian can
>> bring you back the right one."  The Guardian (London)
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 11:45:56 -0400
> From: Paul Hoffman <paul at flo.org>
> Subject: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Here we grow
> again!	Link
> 	checker	functionality in Evergreen
> To: open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org
>
> I had written:
>> *please* let's not develop an *integrated* link checker for
>> Evergreen at all
>
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 06:17:21PM -0400, Duimovich, George
wrote:
>> Disagree -- there's no reason why link checker code couldn't be
developed to be used (or easily adapted) to service both
general
>> purpose roles as well as "integrated" Staff Client
>> functionality. What
>> do you do for libraries who don't have direct server or easy
>> database
>> access? How else can cataloguers be empowered to service link
>> errors,
>> especially as we move towards increasing digital collections?
>
> It sounds like we actually agree -- I would like to see
Evergreen
> use an
> external link checker, but the user shouldn't be able to tell
that
> it's
> external.
>
>> Advantages of integration could include, for example, exposing
>> batch
>> editing and more effective reporting, etc.
>> I won't argue the point right now but "integration" needn't be
>> incompatible with dis-integration, say encouraging the ability
>> generalize the service or allowing alternate solutions to the
>> problem.
>
> Exactly.
>
>> There is currently some sys admin oriented link checker code
out
>> there
>> already for Evergreen that could be adapted (and improved) for
>> general
>> purpose usage (esp. for any database generated link listings,
>> etc.)
>> For some basic working code, see our earlier submissions here:
>> http://markmail.org/message/v4cyszy33sgocqab and here:
>> http://markmail.org/message/kgbpzgg25cm6fqcs  (with maybe some
>> additional enhancements from Liam's work to be submitted by us
>> later).
>
> Thanks for the pointers.
>
> Paul.

checkers
>> and the havoc they wreak, I sincerely hope that one of the
>> requirements will be
>> *politeness* -- specifically, a throttling mechanism that keeps
the link checker from hammering away at a server that happens
>> serve a large number of resources linked to from an Evergreen
>> catalog.  (This is actually quite simple in most cases: just
>> shuffle the list of URLs that you check, and don't check too
>> fast.  If you have 860,400 links in a catalog you can check ten
per second and still finish in 24 hours, but you'd better make
>> sure that those ten per second aren't all requested from the
>> same server!)
>> And -- though it's not clear if this is what's intended or not
>> --
>> *please* let's not develop an *integrated* link checker for
>> Evergreen at all.  A link checker is properly a separate
>> special-purpose tool with a simple, well-defined interface that
allows it to be used by any number of applications; it
shouldn't