[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Call number searching?

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri May 25 08:34:26 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Hardy, Elaine
<ehardy at georgialibraries.org> wrote:

[snip]

> Current versions of Evergreen has functionality that allows you to put
> prefixes into a separate part of the call number. Since we don’t do that, I
> have not tested to see how the call numbers with separate pre-fixes sort in
> a call number  browse. They should sort with their Dewey number – 001.234
> Ref001.234 001.345, rather than 001.234 001.345 Ref001.345 for example.

That's correct.

> I think there is a script that will automate the process of retrospectively
> adding the prefix to records. Mike R. probably has info about that.

I'm not aware of such a script currently.  Every library will have
slightly different requirements for this, but a baseline example
implementation shouldn't be too difficult to create.  Something more
general and configurable would likely be a bigger project.

--
Mike Rylander