[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen and Apple

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Oct 30 12:48:04 EDT 2012

Hi James:

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 04:32:22PM +0000, James Wagner wrote:
> I've had several patrons come into the library saying they couldn't access their accounts from their Apple products. Two have been using Safari on their computers, one person was using an iPad 2 (upgraded to 3?), and another person was using their iPhone. The problem is that Evergreen is not showing them the login screen, so they can't put items on hold or see their account information. Could this be an authentication issue?
>
> Unfortunately, this is not a universal problem. One of my staff used her iPod to log into her account and renew a book, this morning. Her iPod is several years old. Could there be something about newer Apple software that doesn't play nicely with Evergreen?
>
> We started getting the complaints shortly after we upgraded from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2.

I noticed you're still using the JSPAC, which has huge amounts of
JavaScript and is quite fragile as a result... that's why we switched to
the TPAC as the recommended catalogue as of Evergreen 2.3 (and will be
removing the JSPAC entirely in 2.4). You do have a version of the TPAC
on 2.2 ( https://lincoln.niagaraevergreen.ca/eg/opac/home ) but it is
rather limited in functionality in comparison to the 2.3 edition.

I'm wondering if the problems you're seeing have more to do with
upgrades to iOS and OS X that might have rolled out at the same time as
your Evergreen 2.2.1 -> 2.2.2 upgrade. One of the major problems with
the JSPAC is that we're using a version of a JavaScript library that
dates back several years ans thus doesn't know about the quirks (or even
the existence of) new browser versions. I know that IE 10 breaks on the
JSPAC as well, probably due to the JavaScript library not knowing how to
deal with a two-digit version number for IE.