[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen trademark policy

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Fri Sep 14 11:59:38 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Ben Shum <bshum at biblio.org> wrote:
> Question, where do we plan to enforce the trademark "EGILS"?  As far as I
> knew, this has only been used for the "official" twitter hashtag #egils, but
> I wouldn't have imagined one would trademark a hashtag.
>
> Or is the intent that we may someday use the acronym EGILS and it's now to
> be an official term for the project?

The intent is to protect words that have commonly been used to refer
to Evergreen, and the "EGILS" acronym is an example because of its use
as a hashtag.  Why protect it?  To avoid the potential for confusion
in the marketplace if (say) a firm decided to start marketing a new
ILS called "EGILS".  Of course, this does *not* mean that anybody has
to ask permission to using #egils as a hashtag.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton