[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Planned Parts Development

sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us
Tue Jan 29 15:03:58 EST 2013

Elaine asks:

 Have you
> considering, rather than Pt 2 merging labels changing it to making
> managing parts permissions at the consortium level rather than the
> local
> level? That would solve the duplicate label issue and move the
> management
> further up the hierarchical structure. This would essentially
> control the
> part label vocabulary.

I just wanted to say from my perspective as a member of a
consortium without centralized cataloging, that I really like the
idea of being able to merge parts, and changing the permissions
wouldn't work well for us.

As it works now, catalogers can create the parts they need when
they catalog an item, and those parts are available to be used by
the other libraries. So far we haven't had a problem with people
creating duplicate parts, but it would certainly be nice to have
the option to merge them if that comes up.

Since we don't have centralized cataloging, moving management of
parts up the hierarchy would mean it would be done by
non-catalogers, and it would be less efficient than the way we're
doing it now where parts are created when volumes are cataloged.

The sorting capability in Pt. 1 looks like it would be useful, too.

Sarah Childs
Senior Cataloger
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library
250 North Fifth Street