[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen web page for paid support vendors

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Jul 9 17:28:44 EDT 2013

Hi all,

At the June Oversight Board meeting (minutes available at
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=governance:minutes:2013-6-20),
I raised the question of whether the Evergreen community should develop
a policy regarding the paid support vendors that are listed on the
Evergreen web site at
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:evergreen_companies.

I don't think the community should be in a position of endorsing any
Evergreen provider. However, I think it's important that the companies
on the list do indeed provide Evergreen services so that users don't
waste a lot of time investigating companies that don't really work with
Evergreen. There was a consensus at the Board meeting that a policy
should be considered.

I would like to get feedback from others in the community on the
guidelines you think should be used for this page. As an example, Koha
asks support providers to follow the procedures outlined at
http://koha-community.org/support/paid-support/how-to-get-listed/. The
Koha community asks support providers to send an e-mail to the general
list with contact information and a description of services provided.
The providers must also show their support for the community by adding a
visible link to the Koha web site.

I think the Koha guidelines might offer a good starting point for the
Evergreen community.

During the meeting, there was discussion about whether we should define
what an Evergreen service is. Migration, hosting, support, development,
training, and implementation seem like obvious Evergreen services.
Should peripheral devices or third-party services that work with
Evergreen be included or are they a different animal?

Does everyone like the Koha model of requiring listed vendors to add a
visible link to the project web site?

Does anyone have any other thoughts on the subject?

Thanks!

Kathy

<http://koha-community.org/support/paid-support/how-to-get-listed/>

--