[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen web page for paid support vendors

Sharp, Chris csharp at georgialibraries.org
Wed Jul 10 07:29:18 EDT 2013

Kathy and all,

Reading the first paragraph on the vendor page on the wiki: "The following companies are currently listed in alphabetical order. This is by no means an exhaustive list, and appearance on this list does not necessarily mean that the Evergreen community has endorsed each company on the list. You are strongly encouraged to request references of prior work with Evergreen and proof of contribution to the Evergreen project as part of your assessment process when selecting a company to help you with Evergreen."

Is the problem that libraries out there are ignoring these cautions?  Or is it that we know that there are some companies on the list that are incorrectly (to put it mildly) claiming to support Evergreen?

Like Rogan, I would be wary of community members (be it the web team or whoever) taking on the responsibility of vetting companies who support Evergreen.  As I understand the wiki page's function, it's a directory listing of companies who already do (or want to) support Evergreen.  Seems to me that the vetting process should probably happen when individual libraries/agencies evaluate their support options.

I would be interested if a specific incident brought this issue to the forefront or if this is just a general concern.  (i.e., are we pre-emptively solving a problem that hasn't happened, or are we addressing a situation that has?)

Having said that, if there are volunteers would would like to implement the Koha-style method of dealing with this issue, I have no objections at all.

Chris