[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Question regarding patron phone numbers for holds

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Jun 20 10:13:05 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Just a bit of clarification on the holds notification number. The
daytime phone number is indeed the phone number that will show by
default on the "place hold" screen for the patron, and this is where you
will want to migrate the primary phone number for your patrons.

However, the patron can change the default holds notification number in
their patron preferences, and that number may have no relationship with
any phone number listed in the patron's record. In addition, at the time
of placing the holds, the patron may also change the hold notification
number that is used for a specific hold. For example, imagine a
situation where a patron uses their daytime phone number by default, but
is placing holds while they are spending a few weeks in their vacation
home. They may choose to change the phone notification number for those
holds that they expect will arrive while on vacation.

Once a hold is placed, the hold notify number is stored with the hold
itself and has no ties with phone numbers in the patron record. This can
sometimes be a training issue for staff when a patron changes the
daytime phone number in his/her record. Updating the daytime number will
not update the hold notify number for those holds that have already been
placed, and staff need to take an extra step of looking up the patron's
existing holds to see if the number needs to be updated there as well.

It's probably more information than you need for your migration, but I
thought I would mention it since new libraries are often confused when
they see phone numbers on the holds slip that don't match any numbers in
the patron record.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator